Sunday, March 23, 2014

Practicing the Sabbath

Today I decided to actively and mindfully practice the Sabbath in regard to Exodus 20:8-9: "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God." I fully intended it to be a day of study and reflection, with little minimal labor.

And then the day actually began. My mom wasn't feeling too well, and I decided that going out to see her was more important than sitting and reading to myself. Besides, I figured some reflexology might help her body with healing. Bringing her some relief was important.

Next a lovely young lady that I share Reiki healing with that has a serious illness texted me and told me that she needed some Reiki and prayers sent to her--she wasn't feeling very well,either. I decided that doing this was important if it would give her comfort and relief.

Then another friend texted with a frustration that vexed her; I decided that looking up something online for her that might make her day a little brighter seemed the decent thing to do--I know if I were in her predicament, I'd appreciate the gesture.

And all that was before noon.

Then I thought about the New Testament and Mark 2:27: "And then he said to them, 'The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.'" By the time Jesus and his disciples were traveling about sharing the gospel, Jewish tradition had made it practically impossible to keep the Sabbath successfully. The Pharisees spotted Jesus and some of the disciples pulling some grain heads to eat as they walked by the fields. As a result, Jesus was approached and accused of being unlawful on the Sabbath. The verse above was his response. The Sabbath was indeed originally created for us to have a day of rest--a gift from God. Nevertheless, Christ pointed out that sometimes there is God's work to be done as well. 

I am grateful that I am at a time in my life where I can practice a bit of the Sabbath most every day in prayer and meditation. I am also grateful that God allows me to help others when needed...no matter what day of the week.

Peace be with you.











No comments:

Post a Comment