Friday, January 13, 2012

The Greater the Storm, The Greater the Peace

Readings: Isaiah 62:11-63:7, Revelation 1:5b-7, Luke 22:1-23:53


After the initial read of these chapters and verses, I found myself at a complete stand-still; in their complexity, I couldn't begin to figure out a pattern of smooth transitions. In frustration, I put my writing away for the night.


Early the next morning, a bit before the alarm went off, I had a very vivid dream. I was in a huge department store with a number of other people and a tornado was approaching. After asking repeatedly where we should go to find a safer area, we were finally lead to a gigantic storage area that was bare except for some light-weight material that looked as if it could be used to cover inventory.


As dreams go, it was all out of whack in a timeline; I was my age, but carrying our son who seemed to be around 3 or 4. During all this time of peril, he slept soundly in my arms. 


I remember people speaking around me and I became saddened when few felt the need to pray in the midst of this growing storm. By some odd manner, I was able to see numerous funnel clouds descending to the ground. At first I thought they were going to miss us; then it occurred to me that what we were unable to see was a massive tornado that was heading toward our part of the building that was devoid of any windows. As the tornado approached, I remember thinking and praying for acceptance into eternity, realizing that the storm was going to end the lives of those of us there. A great sense of peace came to me.


Needless to say, when I woke up, I was glad to be awake! The dream did make me want to go back to the readings and see if there was any way it could be pieced together.


In Isaiah, there is much talk of giving vengeance and redemption. Perhaps that combination was working in my mind with those around me in the dream. "I will tell of the kindness of the Lord..." (v.7) I was trying to tell those around me, to no avail. "I was appalled that no one gave support" (v.5). I have often heard the phrase that there are no atheists in foxholes or emergency rooms and I tend to still believe it. I also believe, however, that there are a number of people still going on with their day to day lives with little effort to have a close relationship with God through his son, our Lord. Appalling, yes; but more so just sad.


Revelations, as those who have attempted to read through the chapters can attest, gives a person pause. "Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him, So shall it be" (v.7) Perhaps the tornado was brought to mind after I studied the largess of Jesus' return to earth...what magnificent sight that will be...mind-boggling. 


The readings from Luke are the part of the beginning of the end of Christ's mortal life here on earth; I've always found them to be sad as well; they do not speak well of us as a people. Even as Christ was performing the beautiful last supper, those gathered were having petty arguments about who was greatest. As he literally sweat blood through his fervent prayers on the Mount of Olives, those with him kept going to sleep and not watching out for him to have a moment of undisturbed meditation. 


All these readings added up to one great big storm in my mind...


But then, when I read the beautiful words, "They will be called the Holy People, the Redeemed of the Lord" (Isaiah 62:12), I see that no matter how big the storm we confront, God's peace for us is greater. 


The dream was just that; disturbing, but fleeting. God's peace for us through his infinite love is with us always and in such great amounts our minds can't begin to take it all in.


In life we need to remember...the greater the storm, the greater the peace.


Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment