Sunday, April 22, 2012

Here I Am...Send Me

Readings: Isaiah 6:1-8, Romans 11:33-36, Matthew 28:18-20


The words, "here I am...send me" have rung throughout the ages as a mark of a hero or heroine in the making. The weight of the words inspire thoughts of bravery.


How many of us could boldly step up and utter those words?


Throughout the readings today, we see, first hand, those who risked life and limb to go out and declare the word of God and the good news of Christ's resurrection. They knew something the others of the ages did not...we are not alone in our journey.


In Isaiah, Isaiah himself is touched by God to become his messenger against the ever-hardening hearted Israelites. His journey would be a very difficult one by human standards. He was "cleansed" by the power of God, {"For I am a man of unclean lips"(6:7)} and when the coal was touched to his lips, he became a symbol of a clear and clean voice on God's behalf. "Then I heard a voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go with us?' And I said, 'Here I am. Send me!'" (6:8)


Isaiah knew he was a child of God. He knew he was not alone.


In Matthew, we hear Christ's words, "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you'" (28:18-20).


Then his most wonderful words that brought the disciples to even greater understanding they were in his care: "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (28:20).


They also knew through these words that they were not alone.


Can we say with assurance those words today? "Here I am...send me"? It is, as Christians, one of our supreme goals on our spiritual journey of this life.


Perhaps to give us strength in this challenge, we hear these words of praise from Paul: "Oh the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God. Who has known the mind of the Lord? Who has ever given to God that God should repay him?" (Romans 11:33-35)


It is our honor and privilege to step up and, with conviction, say...


Here I am...send me.


Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment