Sunday, July 8, 2012

Ego be Gone

Readings: Daniel 9:15-19; Luke 18:9-14; I Corinthians 15:1-10


Since beginning reflexology training, I've spent a pretty good amount of time pondering on the idea of ego. Just as with any other God-given blessing, when one sees that she/he is actually helping another person feel better through one's actions, it's very easy for ego to creep in. After all, we're the ones making all this happen, right?


Wrong. So very wrong.


I have a good friend that I go to regularly for hands-on healing through cranial sacral therapy and viseral work. I think I feel good before a session; I leave knowing I feel better. One of the first things I noticed in our conversations after sessions was her hesitance whenever I would tell her she was doing a great job. She would simply say it wasn't her doing it. 


And now I understand. It's not her--she has beautifully humbled herself to be a vessel of God's wondrous power. Luke 18:10 tells us the "for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." It gets very easy and tempting to start taking credit when someone feels better and wants to give you the all the credit for doing the work. But, if we did take that credit, the work would be greatly compromised. We would only be able to work within our range of power in helping others; it would be limited to only what our capacity for healing holds. 


Very limited indeed.


When we remove all ego from the picture and know that "but by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me is without effect" (I Corinthians 15:10), we become vessels of whatever goodness God wants to share with those receiving the sessions.


And God's goodness is without end.


Before giving reflexology to a client, I always send a silent prayer on that person's behalf for the mercy of well-being. I know that God is at the helm and only through the presence of Christ working through me as a conduit does the healing take place. "We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy" (Daniel 9:18).


It is indeed a humbling and spiritual experience to see someone feel better after being allowed to offer reflexology to them. I pray each day that Christ will always be with me and allow me to continue to reach others who need a sense of profound relaxation from the stresses of life. My witness to my savior is to humbly follow in his footsteps and be an instrument of his unending peace.


Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment