Monday, February 17, 2014

An Invitation

Reading: "Jesus replied, 'A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is ready'" (Luke 14:16).

I've been writing out invitations today for a birthday party for my mother-in-law. I'm making sure to include all the needed details. As I look at it, I play detective and look at those details. Is everything included? Time? Location? Date? All the necessary information that can make or break a successful gathering. No one wants to show up at the wrong location, on the wrong day, or at the wrong time. That would be a disaster indeed.

Throughout the Bible and in various hymns, we are invited to share the love of God through acceptance of Christ as our Savior. The invitations come to us often; we are asked, not commanded with threats, to join the banquet for eternity. We are very clearly informed about the time and the place. We need not travel great distances to come to the banquet--it's found within each of us.  Nor do we need to have great wealth or prestige to be a welcomed member of the great banquet. Even the poorest of the poor and the most lowly of our planet are given the same invitation as the richest and most well-bred.

Perhaps one of the most beautiful hymns of invitation is "Just As I Am". This hymn contains two particularly fitting verses:
"Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind; sight, riches, healing of the mind, yea, all I need in thee to find, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
"Just as I am, thou wilt receive, wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve; because thy promise I believe, O Lamb of God, I come, I come."

This invitation is the best one we will ever receive; the chance of a lifetime (and beyond) to join the greatest celebration known to man. Don't miss the chance to attend.

Peace be with you.

*Just As I Am, Charlotte Elliott--1835.

No comments:

Post a Comment