Sunday, March 9, 2014

Frustration to Patience

Colossians 3:12-15--"So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful."

Since becoming interested in and actively working with healthy living practices, I've seen the remarkable difference it's made in my life and in the lives of some of those around me. I also deal with levels of frustration each day when working with clients who could, with a few simple and direct changes in their daily habits, enhance the quality of their health immensely. And yet, they don't change.

Frustration for them--frustration for me.

It's very easy for me to have an opinion of "why don't they just help themselves?" "Why don't they want to feel better?" They could make their lives so much easier and comfortable.

And then I think of how I must appear to God.

I know He's bound to be wondering the same thing about me. And yes, I'm bound to be creating some of the same frustrations. 

God has given me a simple set of rules to live a good life; following them should be a pleasure and something I pursue every day. Nevertheless, I come up short every day of my existence. I fail at these simple rules. He has also given me His own Son to be my constant companion on the road to eternity. But do I faithfully follow Christ? Sadly, no. Like I said, I must cause a lot of frustration.

I have learned not to judge those who I work with through reflexology and Reiki. I give thanks each time that they come to me for healing; I know that I have no special power. Everything that happens is God at work. When I forget that from time to time and become a bit too independent, I'm the same to Him as my most stubborn client. I thank God that He is so very patient with me and allows me to come around on my own time. I am also thankful that He gives me lessons in patience each day with those I serve.

So, the next time we're totally frustrated with someone, we need to remember to be patient; we're more than likely looking at a mirror image of ourselves in God's eyes.

Peace be with you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment