Sunday, July 20, 2014

Just the Right Words, Just When I Need Them

Philippians 4:6-7--"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Since Kurt's discharge from the hospital, I know he is in the best place on earth he could be. How many people can move into a welcoming, loving home with a built-in critical care nurse? We are indeed blessed.

Still, especially the first night or two, I would lie awake at night listening to Kurt cough, or stir in his sleep, or wonder if the oxygen was working correctly and oxygen saturation was strong enough. I felt very helpless, even surrounded by help.

Ann loaned me a daily devotion book that I would read to Kurt many mornings while he was in the hospital; the morning after one of my more awake than asleep nights, I picked up the book and read the devotion for that day. The first line was , "Do not worry about tomorrow!" I was instantly calmed. As I read through the devotion, the words I have read time and again in the Bible came to me in comforting waves.

I know I'm not in charge of this part of Kurt's journey--I'm here to be Mom. God has blessed us beyond words  in allowing us brilliant doctors, nurses, facilities, and now a warm and loving temporary home. Tom is able to make trips up to see us; Kurt and I can communicate with family members freely on the phone. He is in an environment that encourages improving health.

So...whenever those little pangs of anxiousness come knocking (and they still do), I go to these beautiful verses at the top of this blog and I rest...and thank God.

Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment