Sunday, July 27, 2014

Where Are We Without Hope?

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"--Jeremiah 29:11


Earlier today I read a daily devotion that talked about hope. It took me back to when we first arrived in Indianapolis at University Hospital and I had a doctor ask me if I wanted them to do everything possible for Kurt. He tried to ask the question very delicately, and I could tell that he already knew the answer. My answer was, "Of course." Later he came back and spoke to me for awhile during the middle of the night while getting more signatures from me for blood transfusions. He talked about what all was being done. The word "hope" came up. I told him that hope and faith was all I had at that moment. He gently agreed that these were two important things to have indeed.

Now, as I watch Kurt prepare for the next phase of his life, I think about hope quite a lot. I find myself "hoping" that the call will come soon; I "hope" that he will stay well as he awaits the transplant. I know that, according to Jeremiah, that "hope and a future" is attainable for us all, no matter what the issue we confront. What I have also learned is that sometimes our narrow idea of "hope" is not nearly as expansive as God's. Jesus' "hope" for us in his death and resurrection emcompasses all of mankind. My daily affirmations of "hope" usually have pretty short measurement on the scale. Nevertheless, I know that God, through his beautiful Son, has given me and everyone else the opportunity to feel the refreshing feeling that hope can bring when we embrace it. 

I "hope" for all of you a blessed day...peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment