Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Gentle Men

Reading:  Titus 2:6-7
" Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good.

After a long day out and about yesterday, I asked Tom what sounded good for supper. His reply was a good diner that was open late on a Sunday evening. Lo and behold, a few miles down the road, that diner appeared.

The food was really good. I'm convinced that one reason it was really good was that I had the opportunity to watch it being prepared. Interestingly, it was fixed by two high school-aged boys. You know, the age that tends to have their eyes and fingers glued to a phone--the age where fixing sandwiches for folks on a sleepy Sunday evening is the last thing on earth they'd want to do. That's where it got really fascinating. And, I will admit, when I first saw who our cooks were, I had my doubts. Then I started watching, fully prepared to see a scuffle break out with the some shoving while the onion rings burned or a moping routine that resulted in a poorly prepared supper.

I'm happy to report that none of the above took place. As I continued to watch, I witnessed two young men on task, working smoothly and efficiently, chatting while working, and taking care to make sure everything was completed to a t. When the order was finished, they delivered it to the serving window and lightly gave the bell a tap. No slamming, no excessive tapping...just a quiet "ding".

Two young men that made our day.

As we left, I went back to the kitchen doorway. I figured the least I could do was compliment them both and give them a little monetary tip for their good work. As I left, the young man I was speaking to reached out and shook my hand.


What a pleasure to know that the ageless graces are still alive and well in some little corners of the world. It gives us hope that the ridiculous "dramas" of so many young people today are a passing, mindless phase and that these young men exemplify the solid good nature of young men we so need them to have for our world to remain strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment